PPS Parent Update Letter
Monday, October 12, 2020
Dear PPS Parents,
As we prepare to transition students from full-time E-Learning to our new in-school AA/BB hybrid model on Monday, November 9, school leaders and teachers have been working with families to verify if they want their child(ren) to continue with full-time E-Learning or move to the in-school hybrid AA/BB model. The student cohort assignments will be completed on Wednesday, October 14. Each family will receive notification of their student’s cohort assignment from their child’s school during the week of October 19, 2020, no later than October 23. Transportation letters will be mailed from Pupil Transportation at the end of October.
Families that have not responded with their preference for instruction will automatically be placed in the hybrid AA/BB model. Families that choose to keep their child enrolled in full-time E-Learning will be placed in Cohort C. If you have questions, please contact your child’s school directly. To enroll your child in full-time E-Learning, complete the online enrollment process at www.pghschools.org/elearningenrollment.
Below is a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) to support families in understanding the AA/BB Cohort Model.
Hybrid AA/BB Cohort Model FAQ:
- What is the AA/BB Model?
The AA/BB model is an in-school model where students will spend two days in school and three days at home.
- What days of the week will students scheduled in the AA model attend school?
Students scheduled in the AA model will attend school on Monday and Tuesday (AA).
- What days of the week will students scheduled in the BB model attend school?
Students scheduled in the BB model will attend school on Thursday and Friday (BB).
- In the AA/BB model what will occur on Wednesdays?
All students and teachers will be working and learning from home every Wednesday while all school buildings are cleaned and disinfected.
- What cohort will students be placed in if their family has chosen full-time E-Learning?
Students that continue with full-time E-Learning will be placed in Cohort C.
- Can I switch my child(ren) from full-time E-Learning (at home) to the in-school hybrid AA/BB model?
Families can move to the hybrid AA/BB model after the first semester in January 2021.
- Can I still enroll my child in full-time E-Learning (Cohort C)?
Yes, families can sign up for E-Learning at any time through the school year at www.pghschools.org/elearningenrollment. If you sign up using the online link, please contact your principal as a courtesy.
- What if I want to wait to decide until I understand the details of the in-school hybrid AA/BB model?
Families that have not made a decision or committed to full-time E-Learning will be automatically placed in the hybrid AA/BB model.
- When will families be notified of their child’s cohort in the hybrid AA/BB model?
Each family will receive notification of their student’s cohort schedule from their child’s school during the week of October 19, 2020, no later than Friday, October 23.
- How can I make sure my children are in the same cohort even though they attend different schools?
Families are encouraged to contact their children’s schools and let them know their preference so that school leaders of both buildings can work together to align schedules. Schools will do their best to accommodate family requests.
- I completed the online survey for E-Learning on the District’s website. Was my information shared with my child’s school?
Yes, E-Learning survey information was shared with each school principal.
- When will families receive information regarding transportation?
The Pupil Transportation Department plans to mail transportation information to families by the end of October.
- Will students attending school on a PS-6 transfer receive transportation?
A PS-6 transfer precludes transportation. However, if there is an existing route with space on the bus, your child’s principal may request to have your child added. Please note that due to COVID-19 social distancing requirements space is limited.
Yours in education,
Anthony D. Hamlet, Ed. D.
Superintendent of Schools